Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi Everybody,
Can anybody point me to some resources or ideas for finding medical insurance. My husband and I retired in our 50s almost a year and a half ago and our Cobra medical/dental insurance will run out soon, so we need to find some new insurance to pay for as individuals until we can apply for Medicare.
Thanks so much,
Sandy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
All health insurance companies offer plans. The question is are the policies affordable. Google will find them for you. The industry leader in your community will be easiest to find doctors and hospitals etc willing to accept.

All of them are regulated at the state level. Your state may well have a list of companies serving your situation. Check with your state insurance office.
No. of Recommendations: 4
At least check out your ACA (Obamacare) options.

Keep in mind that depending on your MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income) you can qualify for subsidies. My wife and I (age 58 each) have a bronze plan that costs us around $15/month after the subsidy.

https://www.healthcare.gov/
No. of Recommendations: 1
If you have doctors you would prefer to continue using you might call their offices and see if they have any suggestions of insurers to prefer or avoid. The old in-network vs out-of-network problem.
Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate having some places to start and things to think about.
Sandy
I'm in the same boat...different month..mine will expire in March.

I will go to the states website and check the options.

I have to tell you though, while I'm paying a lot for my late husbands COBRA plan...
anything else offered was just as expensive, unless you make little income and qualify for the tax credit.
And Also...a point which is sometimes missed...
is this private health care comes with sky high deductibles.
Of course, it depends how your health is.

nag
not looking forward to a high deductible plan