Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I'll get to the question after a little background.

Parents retired for 25 years hundred of miles away and always had taxes done by local professional. They moved back in the area about 18 months ago and father died. Mom had local professional do taxes for year when father died. She's asked me to do them this year.

She is very insistent that I know the amount of money she paid for medical insurance (Medicare Part B policy?) during 2003. She's pretty sure it will be needed to do her taxes. I use TaxCut. As I go through it, I can't find anywhere where medical insurance premiums are needed to be input.

Does a retiree's medical insurance premiums figure into federal taxes somehow? She takes standard deduction and owes no tax. (In fact she'll get back the money withheld from an IRA distribution.)


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.