Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I was reading up on a company called Cara Technologies. They are a medical marijuana company that is in Phase 2 trials right now for a pain killer that offers relief without the side effects of opioids. Given the disastrous fallout from drugs like OxyContin, I am intrigued about this alternative to opioids. Thoughts?

LWW
Print the post Back To Top
Oops, sorry, not Cara Technologies, Cara Therapeutics.

LWW
I'll take a look. I'm curious to see how their product differs from what's generally available from medical marijuana companies. I don't know about this in any real depth, just that the right type of marijuana appears to be enormously effective for opioid-free pain relief -- not for everyone, but for a significant percentage of people. I know of several who have benefited.

=sheila
No. of Recommendations: 1
CARA isn't my favorite marijuana stock to be honest. Have a look at some of these:

CGC (or CA:WEED)
TGODF (or CA:TGOD)
LBUY
ACBFF (or CA:ACB)
AXIM

Couple Good Links:
https://smallcapreporter.wordpress.com/2018/07/05/are-these-...

https://medium.com/stock-market-source

https://seekingalpha.com/author/small-cap-reporter/articles?...

https://marijuanastocks.com/
No. of Recommendations: 1
In terms of therapeutic value, my strong impression is that there are way too many variables and inconsistencies and vulnerabilities to error when it comes to medical marijuana.

I think that medical hemp is really the way to go, as it lacks the psychoactive properties of marijuana at the outset, but contains the good compounds. It's far cheaper to grow and produce, and doesn't need a prescription. CBD (cannidibiol) has just gotten FDA approval for treating certain severe epileptic seizures in children. I don't know if any of the CBD oil companies are publicly traded. But I do know there are some excellent companies, such as CV Sciences (personally familiar with their products), Bluebird Botanicals, Charlotte's Web.

I really wonder if hemp is going to fully replace marijuana medically at some point, because growing hemp is far easier, far less costly, and does not devour environmental resources the way marijuana does. Hemp is a perennial (not an annual), grows outdoors with little need for attention (instead of in a protected environment demanding sufficient and carefully controlled temperature, moisture, and light).

=sheila
My understanding of medical marijuana is that the THC has been bred out (or significantly reduced) & the medical component emphasized.
My understanding of medical marijuana is that the THC has been bred out (or significantly reduced) & the medical component emphasized.

I know that there's an incredible variety of variants in the medical marijuana category. There are modifications of all sorts for a variety of purposes. Different growers have their own variants. I had always assumed that some include THC, some more, some less.

The way to be sure of not getting the THC is to get one of the cannibidiol products. That's from hemp, which is like a THC-free marijuana, is a perennial plant, and grows with little need for care. It leaves a radically smaller ecological footprint than marijuana does, as it is a very demanding plant--of attention and resources.

Even with cannidibiol, there's so much variety in terms of manufacturers, variety of products with a given company, etc. My one experience has been with a few of the products by CV Sciences. The brand is Plus CBD Oil. My husband takes the veggie caps. I've tried them. And I use the high-dose salve for my arthritic thumb. The veggie caps have also revolutionized the life of the husband of a friend of mine--freed him from disabling arthritic and nerve pain, and anxiety.

=sheila
Plus CBD oil is what I've been taking for arthritis in my knees. I use the spray -- haven't tried the capsules. The store where I buy it has discontinued it, so I've been getting it at BOGO prices. I'm well stocked up.

I've also found fish oil caps have been really helpful for my arthritis.
What dose do you use with the spray?

And where do you find these products at BOGO prices???!!!

=sheila
The shop is called Mr Nice Guy. They have a number of stores in the St Louis, MO area and one in Chicago. Unfortunately, the BOGO was because they were discontinuing the Plus CBD. Several of the shops in St Louis had smaller spray bottles still available about a week or so ago. I don't know if they ship, but it might be worth it to call and ask.

I've been taking about 4 or 5 sprays once a day. I just looked at the instructions. One serving is 3 mg and is two sprays. I guess I can back off on what I've been using. LOL
How lucky to get those great prices, even for a short while!

Re the dose for your spray -- what you're using now may be what you need. The dose listed on the container shouldn't be taken as dosing instructions. The dose that works for one person can be very different from the dose that is effective for someone else. The individual differences are huge, and have to be determined by each user. So if you reduce your dose and it's just as effective, that tells you something. But if you reduce it and the benefits are reduced or disappear--that tells you something too!

=sheila
The dose that works for one person can be very different from the dose that is effective for someone else.
I'm also finding that the dose for one problem (arthritis) can be very different from other problems (headache). I had a really bad headache a couple days in a row this past week. Ibuprofen did nothing, so the next day, I decided to try the CBD oil. I was taking six squirts about every half hour. It took the edge off but never quite got rid of the headache. I'm going to go the shop this week and see if they have something specifically for that.
I hope you find the right product and dose. Looking forward to hearing about your experience!

=sheila
I'm going to go to the shop this week...

Shop it, sistah, because, well..... you know;)