Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My girlfriend just retired at age 67 1/2. She hasn't yet enrolled in Medicare Part B because her employer's insurance has covered her fully. As part of her seperation package they will continue to cover her for another 12 months. That means beginning June 2014 she will enroll in Medicare Part B. Due to her seperation package her income in 2013 will be unusually high - about $120K. Her 2012 income was about $95K. Both are going to get her hit with high Part B premiums.

Her income in 2014 and beyond will consist of social security and some investment income for a total of around $30K to $35K. Beginning in 2016 she'll have to take RMD which will add close to $20. But her future income will be nowhere near enough to trigger higher Part B premiums.

Is there any way she can get Medicare to recognize that her current income in 2014 is much lower than when she was working or is she stuck for a year or more paying higher premiums due to past income.
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.