Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
In the last century, the medicare premium was the same for everybody.
Then some time after 2000, without any notice, the premium became based on MAGI.
Whose idea was that?
Was this introduced by the Bush43 administration?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Part of the Medicare Drug Benefit legislation, I believe. But why do you say it appeared without notice? That program and the related legislation were discussed and argued ad nauseum. Maybe you were out of the country. Or maybe you just weren't paying attention. There was plenty of warning.

Today I hear the same thing when people see the FICA deduction increased in their paycheck. "Why didn't someone warn me?" they moan. Well, they were told in 2010 when the temporary reduction was enacted. And they were warned in every newspaper in the country as the fiscal cliff approached. If they read those stories they would also know letting the temporary FICA reduction expire was about the only thing Republicans and Democrats agreed on.
Meanwhile, when politicians say the code words "means testing" in reference to Medicare, I wonder what they have in mind?

Do you think those who lose their benefits to "means testing" will be exempted from paying the medicare payroll deduction?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Do you think those who lose their benefits to "means testing" will be exempted from paying the medicare payroll deduction?

When pigs fly. Trying to means test benefits is an administrative nightmare. Rather, I imagine it will go the route of increased income-based premiums, which is already in effect with the Medicare surtaxes effective this year as well as the earlier changes being discussed here. On the Social Security side it's done through the taxation of benefits.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
>>Maybe you were out of the country.<< Almost. Hawaii is a long way from most of our country.
>>Or maybe you just weren't paying attention.<< I am fortunate in having
prescription coverage independent of Medicare. Therefore the Medicare Drug benefit was of little interest to me. Still, my Medicare premium has gone up, without a direct warning.
-
I would still like to know whom to blame. For example, in the case of the unfortunate taxation of Social Security benefits, the blame is on the late Senator Patrick Moynihan.
No. of Recommendations: 4
" in the case of the unfortunate taxation of Social Security benefits, the blame is on the late Senator Patrick Moynihan. "

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One person?

You look at the great imposing granite face of the U.S. Federal
government and you choose to blame one person?

And one who is dead at that?

Does this blaming make you feel more at ease?
(after all the word blame and the word balm do have striking
similarities.)

"If thine eye offends thee, pluck it out."

Write to your congressmen.
Write a letter to the times.
Write a placard and march around the capital.

Don't be a rabbit!
Don't blame the snake!
Run!
Get a stick and practice whacking the snake on the head with it!
Throw a smaller rabbit at it!
Make friends with a mongoose!

Howie52