Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am devastated. My employee medicare, similar I think to AARP, has discontinued Silver Sneakers. I have been a Silver Sneakers user since my plan allowed it and at my old age (short end of 86) has helped me tremendously with balance and core strength. The plan has changed to Renew Active, which they refer to as World Class. All I see is ability to join participating gyms and 15 minute workouts via video. Not World Class.

I have had employee medical insurance since married in 1959. It has always been and still is AFAIK a great plan.

In my area, Aetna and Anthem seem to be the ones offering Silver Sneakers. They may be cheaper, but not sure they offer the same broad range of benefits and drug plan.

1. Does anyone have Renew Active?
2. Does anyone have either Aetna or Anthem, plus Silver Sneakers, and are pleased with what they offer in benefits?

Yes, I know I need to check with my current doctors to make sure they accept any medicare I may choose.

Birgit
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Folly back in 2014 we switched to a different medigap plan and that one offered Silver Sneakers, but it was not advertised and certainly not on the Medicare site. Have you call the insurance companies you are interested in and asked? (An you undoubtedly know, insurance from company X is different in almost every state because there is no national regulation beyond the minimums for N or X or Q or whatever plan you pick.

Here is a link that may be of interest:

https://www.everydayhealth.com/medicare/what-is-silversneake...
No. of Recommendations: 0
Folly back in 2014 we switched to a different medigap plan and that one offered Silver Sneakers, but it was not advertised and certainly not on the Medicare site.

Yes, that page is old. AARP and United Healthcare dropped Silver Sneakers. My company medicare is really exceptional and I cannot find another with like benefits. I've even inquired if I could buy a membership to Silver Sneakers but they only accept membership through medicare plans. They should go public. I'm afraid my only option left is to complain to United Healthcare and my company.

Thanks for the link

Birgit
I haven't checked recently, but I think Humana was the first to offer free gym membership as part of their Medicare program. Not sure if they still have it.
You might try looking into community senior centers and local colleges. Last time I looked they
offered free classes in hiking, yoga, and other "fitness" thingies. The senior centers offer
something similar but also had things like euchre, checkers, chess et.al.

Howie52
Sometimes things are hit and miss - depending on the weather and level of interest.
Yes, Humana had it, cancelled it, got so many complaints they restored it. I have no problem with the gyms finding exercise and if I stay with UHC I will get free memberships.

With Covid, SS went above and beyond offering wonderful Zoom classes where participants could interact through chat. That is what I will be missing!!!

Birgit
Here in the NW, Kaiser's Senior Advantage Medicare Advantage Plan, starting this year, offers this:

Available for Kaiser Permanente Medicare Advantage (HMO) plan members, the Silver&Fit® Healthy Aging and Exercise Program1 offers fitness memberships to a national network of 14,000+ fitness centers at no additional cost.

But to be eligible, you must live in a zip code the Senior Advantage MA plan is being offered.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 2
Pleased to report I found a replacement Medicare Advantage plan. I will get just about the same as I had, plus Dental. And....Silver Sneakers. Price is about the same for PPO. The plan is local to my NEOhio area. Yay!!!

I have to say there are a lot of 86yr olds who would not be able to navigate all the homework I had to do to find a suitable plan. Scary.

Birgit
We've had Medicare and Medigap (UnitedHealthcare) for many years. My Medigap costs us about $485/month (combined) but has covered everything at no other cost for all those years.

Who here has compared Medicare and Medigap coverage with so-called Healthcare Advantage plans lately? How do they compare? I have a week to choose, so better check fast, I guess!

Vermonter
I chose an Advantage Plan over the Medicare Supplement plan because it was cheaper and offered Silver Sneakers. My Advantage plan has NO drug donut hole and is a PPO. When United Health Care dropped Silver Sneakers for a lesser gym plan I looked around for another plan. That was a full time job!!

You need to crunch numbers....some plans look great up front with no monthly charge, free doctor visits, etc. But you need to compare drug plans and hospital charges per day.....the charges that come up when you are really sick.

I finally decided to stay with my original company plan which is a PPO, does have a monthly charge, but coverage for drugs, hospital stays, etc is better. Since I am 86 yrs old, I figure that is more a priority with now.

Birgit