No. of Recommendations: 0
I know some here use this service/insurance. I would think MedJet Assist is probably adequate for most people (unless folks go into dangerous zones like Syria, then maybe need Horizon?). Is that what folks here have?

1poorguy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
My wife and I generally have one of their contracts (we activate the annual contracts before trips to areas of the world which concern us - Africa/Asia/South America). We also know someone who used their services and said they worked well.

Jeff
No. of Recommendations: 3
I have a subscription to Medjet Assist, thanks to Ormont's posts. However, the decision was sealed when I was biking in New Zealand and noticed a helicopter ferrying buckets to put out a wildfire. Even in a first world country, evacuation from the places I cycle could be difficult*.

Because I am usually a solo traveler, I like the option to bring someone to me and I do think of who would have to deal with what so the repatriation of my remains was also a part of the decision. I suspect the decision tree might be different if I usually traveled with anyone and/or was looking at paying for more than one person.

*https://www.alps2ocean.com/
when I was biking in New Zealand ...

Wow. Was your experience even half as amazing as it looks?

So you biked it solo? Did you bring your own bike and stuff?
No. of Recommendations: 3
I've been to New Zealand for about a month this year and the last two. I did 5 separate cycling tours on the South Island and rode a bit around Martinborough(more about wine tasting but nice way to do it) as well. They were with companies - I recommend Pure Trails NZ* and Green Jersey(for the North Island. There's a app - Great Rides of New Zealand(or something like that)- I may eventually try for all of them.

It IS beautiful but I think it's more impressive if you aren't living in a pretty nice place. Probably 80% of the trails on the South Island are gravel and/or dirt so that was all on a hybrid.

I haven't biked Queen Charlotte Sound yet but I highly recommend Okiwa Bay Lodge & the optional dinners there.

*The US $ is still in good shape in the exchange rate, there is no tipping in NZ and people who live there & Australia are less willing to spend money on travel.

I will be doing a self-guided but arranged trip late summer in the San Juan Islands(WA) through Macs Adventures that I bought at a bicycle gala auction. If it goes well, I may do more that way. I've also started leaning toward just renting a good bike when I go places. Next year, I am doing an organized tour from San Diego to St. Augustine (58 days, 8 of them rest days) and that requires me to ship my own bike.
Does Medjet also cover within the US?
No. of Recommendations: 2
Yes. The requirement appears to be that you have to be 150 miles from your home.
Yes. The requirement appears to be that you have to be 150 miles from your home.

That is a reasonable requirement. Ground transportation would be reasonable for less than 150 miles.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Just to be clear on their service, it's really just a hospital transfer. You still need your own health insurance for the hospital/doctor. But this service will handle your transfer to your home hospital if you are checked into another hospital for in-patient care.

Maybe I'm just being pedantic, but it's important to be clear on what it is you are (and are not) getting. Which is why I spent several minutes on the phone with a rep making sure I had it straight.