Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 8
I haven't had a chance to listen to the Meeting yet, but kid crisis over on the graphix lair posted these comments:

Here are some notes I took on the Nvidia Shareholders Meeting that took place today and was broadcast live over the internet.
They started off by showing an excellent video of all the best graphics demos that have been released in the last year. It was set to what sounded like a U2 song (Elevation?). It was very impressive. I especially liked the CodeCreatures demo footage.

Since they are in their quiet period, they stated that there would be no financial disclosures aboput the company.

They tried to initially address the top concerns about the stock:

1) SEC Investigation: a final report on their independant audit was given to the SEC, and it sounded like a final review was still pending.

2) CFO search: Mary Datson (sp?) is acting as temporary CFO. They are diligently searching for a new CFO, and have a lot of "world-class" candidates they are evaluating.

3) XBOX: the future earnings guidance they have given is their most conservation estimation for XBOX revenues/earnings. Hence, they claimed it was only possible for the numbers to improve from what they have projected. The pricing/volume dispute is still ongoing with Microsoft, and it wasn't clear when that would finish.

4) INTEL 845G: they claimed this only affected the bottom 20 to 25% of the market, and that the INTEL 845G was slower than their slowest existng product, the GeForce2 MX-200. (Not sure why they didn't mention the TNT-2's, but maybe those are being phased out soon?)

5) Competition: They said they were going to talk about competition, but I never heard ATI, Matrox or 3DLabs mentioned specifically. Since none of the shareholders present asked questions about this, perhaps that is why they didn't go into detail.

They mentioned the NV30 several times, and showed references to it on several slides. One of the slides showed a schedule for chip releases, and it showed the NV18 and NV28 showing up in what appeared to be the August/Sept time frame, and NV30 appearing in Oct/Nov (approximate, the slide was marked in quarterly increments). The slide also mentioned how many transistors were on each chip:
NV18: 81 million
NV28: 86 M
NV30: 120 M

They stated that they thought the NV30 was going to be the biggest revolution in 3D graphics in the last 10 years.

At a later part of the presentation, they stated that NV30 was on TSMC's 0.13um process that had copper interconnects. It was an FSG process (i.e. no low-k dielectrics were being used). I believe that Jen Hsun said the only part coming this Fall that was 0.13um was the NV30, the other parts are 0.15um. Also, the NV30 would fully support DX9.

They said they currently had 5% of the chipset market, and that Nforce2 was shipping imminently. They were agressively pursueing the chipset market for the upcoming AMD 64 bit microprocessor (the ClawHammer, etc).

They talked a lot about Cg, and that it had been a two year effort to put the language together. Stated that they had more software than hardware people working for them.

Jen-Hsun claimed that the 2nd generation Xbox titles would be coming out soon, and would blow away the graphics currently being achieved on that console.

Apparently the Ti-4200 is their hottest shipping cards right now. They claimed this was a little out of the ordinary, since the "performance" sector usually took a back seat to the mainstream market (which they had identified as the GeForce4-MX and GeForce2-MX cards).

Stated that 35% of their business was 1st tier OEMS, 55% was system builders, and ~10% was the retail aftermarket.

All in all, I thought it was a well put together and upbeat presentation. Jen-Hsun and the rest of the crew put on a good show.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.