Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Melissa, I began investing in the 90s and remember getting addicted to it because I seemingly could do no wrong. I went through the downside of that. What I observe now is that the market is still functioning and I mean this in two ways:

1) The companies doing poorly out there are getting crushed. Look at GE, look at GoPro. Look at the competitors to Netflix for the most part, or the retail competitors to Amazon, or the relatively lousy business of Twitter as compared to Facebook.
2) While there is an incredible amount of punditry that talks about how Netflix, or Tesla, or others are based on bogus metrics the truth is that these companies all have plausible futures that make sense, and it's just a fact that the people writing these articles are undereducated in performing the proper analysis.

It's a weird world because we are in the age of globalized, high tech winner-takes-all businesses who are able to cut out middlemen and dominate with low employee counts. This is the winning theme at the moment. Maybe it changes. I bet not yet. I think you've picked the right companies, but it's possible you haven't picked them with full awareness of the reasons 'why'. Work on that. But if you are nervous, sell just a little tiny bit. Sell like 10%. Then recalibrate and see how you feel. Maybe you'll get lucky and buy back lower.

tldr; I don't think the market is nuts yet.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.