No. of Recommendations: 11
Several years ago I posted a message about remembering 1Lt. Bob Aldrich every year around this time. Bob was a cadre member of mine, who was a later Vietnam marine fatality, when I attended a military college before serving as an infantry officer for a few years.

The years have passed since that message was posted. This year, yesterday and today, I still remember and honor him and others. 47 years after I first met him barking orders in my panicked face...

From those days, I also remember others I shared my years with in my cadet company; Art Pollack, who suffered serious facial injuries after graduation in Vietnam and Col. Richard Mulhern, tragically killed years later in Iraq.

There are others, but these three stick with me. All the time.

Yesterday, on this weekend, I went to a National Cemetery for the first time in many years. I walked on perfectly cut grass and looked at row after row of headstones with names, rank and date etched into each slab. I didn't personally know any of the people who were gathered together in this place one last time. Didn't matter...

I knew them all.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.