No. of Recommendations: 0
meowkittymeow: "My parents (74 and 70) are confronted with the decision to buy an Immediate Fixed Annuity,"

Why?

"The particular money is in an IRA (my father's)."

So why move it to an annuity? What purpose is served?

"and have asked me for advice."

Good. I will defer to the others as to the details.

"The particular annuity in question is with Bankers Life and Casualty Company (yes, the salesman came calling; my parents already have a Long-Term Care policy with Bankers Life). It is called the "Bankers Security Builder Equity+" with a "Strong Guarantee." The annuity he is selling is an Immediate Annuity, with a rate tied to the S&P-500 index. He presented it as paying out at a "Participation Rate" of 85% of the index appreciation. [I note in the actual document that it really has a variable Participation Rate, resetting each year, initially not set until the annuity is funded, and with a minimum guaranteed rate of only 25%. This discrepancy is enough to make me seek some other company, even if my parents want to go ahead with an annuity. I looked at the website of the oft-recommended Vanguard, but can't figure out what is what there. At least, not without doing a lot more reading.] It appears to have no direct fees -- i.e., all their fees must be taken in the form of a lower payout ("Participation Rate")."

You may want to cross post on the Insurance Board.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.