The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Foreign Marriage Date:  1/13/1999  8:59 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  8364 of 129671

[[I got married on December 29th, 1998 to a man that is a citizen of Bahamas and
applying for adjustment of status.]]

Congratulations...I don't know exactly what an "adjustment of status" might be, but congrats anyway.

[[ He has a son that he supports there; he has
never been married to his mother. Can we file married/jointly? And can we claim
his son as a dependent?]]

From the very limited amount of information that you have provided, I would guess yes (assuming that your current state of residence recognizes your marriage as "legal"...but that's a state issue.

You can read more about filing status and dependents in my post on those issues in the Taxes FAQ area. You might also want to check out IRS Publication 519 at the IRS web site for additional information on resident and/or non-resident aliens.

TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. It'll help you with your 1998 taxes, and it's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us