The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/roth-conversion-quandary-11189583.aspx

Subject:  Roth Conversion quandary Date:  8/25/1999  9:31 AM
Author:  NickelJ Number:  13432 of 104830

I waited until this year to convert my tradtional IRA to a Roth (I know). What I have done is to foolishly close the mutual fund that held my IRA and move it into a couple more foolish portfilios. These are still traditional IRAs. I received a check from the mutual fund company, deposited it into my checking account, then wrote a check to my on-line broker for the exact amount, all within the 60 days. Now I have a designated "Roth" account open and I want to move about a third of my traditional money a year into the Roth. In this sense, I still get to spread the tax liablity over a few years. There is only $20,000 dollars in the account now, but I still can't afford (read that choose not to afford) conversting it all in one year.
QUESTION: is there any restriction on how often I can move money from one account to the other? I heard that since I "touched" the money on the transfer from the mutual fund to the on-line brokerage account, I cannot move it again (into the Roth account) for at least a year. Anyone understand the myriad rules about moving money? Thanks.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us