The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE Date:  1/27/2000  6:48 PM
Author:  TheBadger Number:  18334 of 102471

Sorry to hear about the divorce. The best move is for your lawyer & her lawyer to agree on a QDRO (qualified domestic relations order) and have a judge sign it. The QDRO is presented to the plan administrator of your wife's 401(k) plan & he is obligated to essentially segregate your wife's account into "hers" & "his" and make you an account holder. Then you can do a lump-sum distribution to the rollover IRA of your choice. Not one penny of tax is due.


Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us