The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-share-your-your-sentiments-but-other-synonyms-12015255.aspx

Subject:  Re: That label "Retirement" Date:  2/19/2000  7:04 PM
Author:  mattpam Number:  2355 of 20976

I share your your sentiments - but other synonyms are just as distasteful! It usually means premature or forced retirement; unemployable due to over qualifications; pre-conceived ideas of senility, etc. etc. When will the establishment wake-up to the reality that we are building the world's largest reservoir of under-utilised talent, by putting out to pasture people with 45+ years of accumulated wisdom! Sixty five may have seemed old 50 years ago; however, the rapid increase in the life expectancy of adults calls for a re-appraisal of conventional wisdom about senior employment. I play tennis 3 or 4 times a week, waste muchos time on my computer, read a bit and try to engage in as many pro-bono public activities as a I can But the fact is I see all kind of problems around me, that I am discouraged from helping resolve. People were happy to pay a $1000/day fee as a consultant, but when you volunteer - you are labelled as an interferring old busybody! Its a strange world we lived in - Matthew
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us