The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: ira eligability Date:  2/27/2000  9:54 PM
Author:  rjm1 Number:  19570 of 107775

I make $64000 per year, hubby makes $105000 per year, we are contributing (heavily) to 401K's but our accountant
says we do not qualify to do an IRA as well (I know we don't get the tax deduction and a roth is just a dream) BUT??
can we each contribute the $2000 apiece to invest and grow.
We file separately on income taxes if that helps
(we just moved to the US 2 years ago from Canada and are still trying to figure out the tax system)

Why file separately? Try your taxes both ways and see if married isn't better.

If you filed a joint return and were US citizens you could each make a 2,000 non deductible IRA contribution. Best ask this question on the tax board.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us