The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: What happens to a Roth if you retire to Cana Date:  3/16/2000  8:56 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  20133 of 107492

Greetings, Reidmp, and welcome. You wrote in part:

<<I have no idea what the situation would be if I moved back to Canada and was filing a Canadian tax return. I know there are complementary taxation agreements between the US and Canada, but I don't know if that means my Roth distributions would be treated as tax-free in Canada. If not, then it is highly unlikely that I'd ever want to do a rollover from an IRA to a Roth IRA (unless I yanked all the money out of the Roth before moving, but then it wouldn't be invested as long and I probably wouldn't gain anything from the conversion).

Any ideas?>>

That is an issue of international tax agreements between Canada and the United States. My suggestion is you ask a Canadian tax advisor what the impact would be.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us