The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Charitable Contributions Date:  4/4/2000  12:26 AM
Author:  CindyC72 Number:  33453 of 133127

Hi all

In 1999, I contributed to United Way through payroll deduction. There is no notation of it on my W-2, but it is detailed on my last pay stub for 1999.

Because the total was more than $250 for the year (but much less per pay period), I am still trying to figure out what I need to provide for documentation.

I did find this much: "For contributions made by payroll deduction, substantiation must be a combination of (1) a pay stub, W-2, or other employer statement showing the amount withheld for contribution to a donee organization, [That I've got!] AND (2) a pledge card stating that the organization does not provide goods or services for any contributions made by payroll deduction [Get something from HR for that?]. You need this documentation if each separate payroll deduction is $250 or more.

So, reading this, it appears that I don't have to provide anything except a notation that it was via payroll deduction when I enter it on my taxes.

I really want to make sure that I am understanding this right, I have no desire to have any letters from the IRS showing up in my mailbox!

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us