The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

International Investing / Australia (All-Ordinaries)


Subject:  Re: Tax question (please help) Date:  4/28/2000  9:48 PM
Author:  Barcoo Number:  1385 of 6186

Yeh, I wondered if I was being clear enough.Let me try again.
CGT on shares held over 12 months is taxed at marginal tax rate divided by 2 or it is indexed, take your pick.
CGT on shares held less than 12 months is taxed at marginal tax rate non-indexed.
Assume $2000 CG on shares ABC held 2 years and $2000 CG on shares XYZ held 2 months. Capital loss of $2000 on shares MNO held 6 months.
Offsetting the loss against XYZ means paying less tax than offsetting the loss against ABC.
The question is "Can I nominate to have the loss on MNO offset against the gain on XYZ?"
Feel free to correct any errors of interpretation I have made. This is probably a question for a CPA.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us