The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Transferring holdings from taxable to Roth Date:  11/15/2000  1:48 PM
Author:  TMFExRO Number:  26159 of 107774

I've read through the entire thread to date, and I want to re-emphasize one point and make one that hasn't been made, unless I'm having a senior moment.

You cannot transfer shares from a taxable account, e.g. your custodial account, to an IRA. Period. The Ameritrade rep you were talking to was full of beans. The cash contribution requirement is clear, and you'll find it in IRS Publication 590, among other places.

The new point. No one has mentioned that you must have earned income in order to contribute to an IRA. You are limited annually to the amount of your taxable compensation or $2,000, whichever is less. I mention this because it sounded to me like what you wanted to do was just change your custodial account into an IRA.

Phil Marti
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us