The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/w4-questions-14326800.aspx

Subject:  W4 questions Date:  2/12/2001  12:01 AM
Author:  srhydecats Number:  46209 of 129670

We had been a one income family for 20+ years and always received a refund at tax time. In 1999, I went to work earning > $6.00 p/h; claiming zero allowances. Husband claimed 1 allowance. At tax time, we owed apx. $500 more in Fed. taxes but received a refund from State as usual. For Y2000 wages, husband changed his W4 Withholding to zero, I kept mine at zero and we now owe $300. What gives?
From our AGI of apx. $37,000, we take the standard deduction for married, filing jointly ($7,350)and 2 exemptions ($5,600). Our Best Guess is that my employer is NOT withholding the correct amount of Fed. tax but since I work for Wal-mart, I am finding that a little difficult to believe. Will receive a refund from State, so that's not a problem.
Any suggestions as to why this is happening would be appreciated. I shudder to think that W-M is miscalulating my Fed Withholding amounts but what else could it be??
Sincerely,
Rose (in the doghouse)jk
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us