The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Paying federal tax: check addressed to whom? Date:  4/13/2001  11:55 AM
Author:  pmarti Number:  50192 of 127987

When paying federal taxes, whom should the check be made payable to?

"United States Treasury"

You used to make it out to Internal Revenue Service, but, and I'm not making this up--I was there, there were people in Washington who thought that people who hated writing a check to the IRS would get dewy-eyed writing one to the US Treasury. Congress bought it, et voila!

Phil Marti
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us