The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Old State Taxes Date:  6/15/2001  2:59 PM
Author:  TMFJeanie Number:  51840 of 128042

I have heard absolute horror stories about dealing with the state of California and taxes so I wasn't sure if it wouldn't be best to just pay it and go on with life.

Horror stories abound for New Yorkers, also. We've had friends retire and move to Florida and NH (both non-taxed states) and have heard that NY hounds them for a couple years to prove they no longer receive their income from the Empirical State.

We moved from NY to MA early in a new year (1995) and had a tax accountant prepare our two state returns that year. As I recall, we had to declare the exact number of days we still lived in NY and then have the tax obligation prorated to each state.

I've no idea how to go about fixing a problem this many years after the fact, but starting with advice from a tax pro would be a good idea.

Good luck,

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us