The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Prepayment of Services to a Contractor Date:  8/10/2001  1:20 PM
Author:  Sloopy54 Number:  53227 of 129523

A cash basis taxpayer prepaid $10,000 to have improvments made to his swimming pool, The contractor only made $2,000 of improvements and then ceased activity, leaving the remainder of the work uncompleted.

I was wondering if this taxpayer can claim a non business bad debt deduction for the amount above the adjusted basis of $2,000?, the only problem is that this doesn't seem like it is a bad debt because it is a prepayment and the debt is not entiely worthless. Can anyone help me??

Thank you,


Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us