The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s


Subject:  Re: What to do w/ a stock certificate. Date:  11/16/2001  2:42 PM
Author:  AcmeFool Number:  13645 of 26356

You'd need to sell the stock, put the money into the (Roth) IRA and then buy the stock back inside the IRA. And the cap on IRA contributions is $2000 for this year; it'll be $3000 next year.

Of course, the original poster could always wait until January to sell the stock and make a full $5000 contribution at that time - $2000 for 2001 and $3000 for 2002...

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us