The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Products & Services / Online Banking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/personally-i-suggest-using-a-credit-card-for-17388058.aspx

Subject:  Re: News item re Check Card problems Date:  6/19/2002  10:51 PM
Author:  SeattleNative Number:  17177 of 24368

Personally, I suggest using a Credit Card for routine transactions and paying off the CC balance in full every month.

If a merchant-initiated error shows up on your CC, you have leverage in disputing the erroneous charges. The card issuer's money is at stake, not your own checking account.

Currency and coins still work well for many small transactions. With cash, you know exactly where you stand - you make payment and receive change, there's no second-guessing.

VISA and MasterCard sponsored the implementation of higher ATM usage fees and surcharges to motivate consumers to substitute VISA/MasterCards for cash. VISA and MasterCard ("nonprofit organizations") have quietly acquired a controlling financial interest in most of the US ATM networks.

As a savvy consumer, it is in your self-interest to have low-fee access to your own cash, which is why I do most of my routine banking with branchless Internet banks that offer no-fee ATM usage and some ATM surcharge rebates.

Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us