The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/landog-writes-both-my-wife-and-i-work-for-the-17668050.aspx

Subject:  Re: non-MasterMind will RE Date:  8/10/2002  3:13 PM
Author:  FoolMeOnce Number:  73405 of 882101

landog writes:
Both my wife and I work for the gov'mint and will be eligible for our defined benefit plan (me in 2005, her in 2006)at age 39. Although we both want to stay a few extra years to maximize our retirement income. The income we recieve will be about about 60% of our current income after taxes and, because we live well below our means, will be our safety net should everything else go down the tubes.

I presume that your retirement eligibility at the tender age of 39 means you are currently active duty military? If so, thanks for your service to our country. I have seen few mentions on this board of the fact that the military service affords a reasonable pension after only 20 years of service. Early retirement is also an option for certain civilian employees including air traffic controllers, firefighters and law enforcement personnel. I have known more than a few active duty military that were able to completely retire after twenty years by virtue of their government pensions and the fact that they bought (and subsequently converted to rentals) personal dwellings at each duty station. I once went on TDY with a Marine Corps fighter jock that bought a couple of houses in the Laguna Beach, CA area in the 70's. He is sitting real pretty right now. Good luck with your retirement plans.

Regards,
FMO

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us