The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Two questions for a self-employed friend Date:  4/22/2003  3:02 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  65140 of 132160

pmarti: Every program I've ever used handles amended returns the same way:

1. Create a correct return.
2. Open the 1040-X and input the numbers from the original return.

lorenzo2: It's not often that I disagree with Phil Marti, but that's not the way TaxWise (the program that many TCE/VITA sites use) works!

TaxWise does amended returns like this:

1. Create an incorrect return.
2. Open the 1040X and check a box to lock in those numbers.
3. Go back to the return and fix it.
4. Return to the 1040X - all the numbers are now there, and all that remains is to add narrative text to the second page.

me: TurboTax does it both ways. You get to choose. All this desagreeing aside, I agree with Phil that if I didn't have the "matching" year's software available, it would probably be easier (and safer) doing the 1040X by hand. My purpose in correcting the original poster was just to point out the error, ie., that it was possible to prepare the return with software from a later year, not to suggest that using the software was the preferred method.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us