The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Living overseas Date:  5/8/2003  8:05 PM
Author:  mcrochip Number:  65317 of 132527

You'll still be paying federal income tax, though you will get a tax credit for taxes paid to Germany. (There is something called foreign earned income exclusion, but I think you have to live abroad for the entire tax year to qualify for that...)

So if it's for 18 months, and I leave in June/July, then I wouldn't be eligible for that tax credit until 2004? I'd most likely be overseas for most, if not all, of 2004.

I still hope they'll work out a SOFA for us, but as a civilian contractor, they're apparantly not obligated to do that. Any other info will be greatly appreciated.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us