The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Filing Status Change After Marriage Date:  8/11/2004  11:39 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  72820 of 128125

The key to selecting your filing status is what was your status on December 31 of the tax year. If you were married you must file either MFJ of MFS unless you can be considered unmarried for tax purposes. This may allow you to file as HOH (Head of Household).

Let's hope wedded bliss lasts at least through the end of the year so that OP doesn't face the HOH option.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us