The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/my-question-is-what-strategy-should-i-use-to-22089646.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Cash Flow Date:  2/18/2005  11:28 AM
Author:  Adenovir Number:  44711 of 97996

My question is, what strategy should I use to sell the stock mutual funds to replenish the fixed-income investments as they are used up? One option is to sell equities each year to replenish the $100,000 of fixed-income funds, in which case I'll be selling in both up and down markets? Or should I use some criteria that would result in selling equities in "good" times, when the market is up? How can I know when the "up" times are?

First of all, congratulations on saving a substantial nest egg, $2.5 million is a real acheivement.

I would use your annual withdrawals to keep your asset allocation in balance. Simply withdraw enough from both equities and fixed income to maintain the allocation you want (65%/35% seems reasonable). This way you have a mechanical way of taking more from stocks when they do well and less when they don't.

Adenovir
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us