The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ill-probably-be-retiring-in-about-8-years-or-so-22179063.aspx

Subject:  Re: retirement community (but no golf) Date:  3/9/2005  10:38 AM
Author:  2old4bs Number:  45030 of 99380

I'll probably be retiring in about 8 years or so and I've started to look around at the possibilities for life in retirement. Originally, I didn't like the idea of a retirement community at all. But lately I've thought of the benefits. But so far all of the retirement communities that I've looked at are built around golf courses.

I have the same time frame and have encountered the same problems you have (too many golf communities). It really does add a lot to maintenance costs, and I would much rather avoid it altogether. My sister moved to a very large, but older, community near Phoenix. What's great about hers is that the golf amenities are separate--a homeowner who wants to use them pays an annual fee, but the other homeowners pay nothing for its upkeep. My sister's 'common fees' are less than $500/year which includes use of the pool, community rooms, and 2 large and well-equipped exercise rooms.

I've done some fairly extensive investigation in NC, SC and TN and have not been able to find a retirement community that doesn't force you into a golf club. I've also found some communities that sound great from an aesthetic and environmental viewpoint, but they're NOT retirement communities.

Looks like we are between a rock and a hard place. Because of this, I'm considering a small condo in my sister's Phoenix community for the winter months, and perhaps a small house in the "high desert" near Prescott AZ for the summer months. I could probably get both for less than one of these golf communities cost, and cost is an issue for me.

2old

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us