The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/you-are-so-right-things-would-be-way-better-if-22207648.aspx

Subject:  Re: Religionists miss the scale of things Date:  3/15/2005  2:43 AM
Author:  schickbrithouse Number:  143904 of 518395

You are SO RIGHT! Things would be way better if we had never started teaching evolution in American schools. That way we could be even *more* retarded compared to the rest of the civilized world.

As usual, you jump to the unwarranted conclusion that I would support the teaching of creationism or Intelligent Design in public schools. Bulls**t. The problem with the Scopes trial was that it could have been handled one hell of a lot better and could have ended without having the people you despise being so humiliated. The whole idea from the beginning as far as Darrow and Mencken were concerned was to humiliate people. The defense of evolution per se was entirely secondary.

But then, humiliating people serves a purpose, doesn't it? It allows one to feel so superior to everyone else.

I know a man upon whom you would look with utter disdain. He has no college degree and he also goes to an Evangelical church. He works as an upholsterer. He has the bad luck on a number of occasions to find a good job in his field only to lose it because management drives the company into the ground or the company is sold to someone else or it loses a contract. The poor guy just can't catch a break and he has worked like hell all his life to support his family. I know him because my late son was married to his daughter for 6 years. Initially, my son's decision to marry his daughter appalled both me and my wife since all we could see were his religious views and had no visibility into his essential humanity and that of his wife and daughter. When my son became sick and later died, I got to know my daugher-in-law and her parents quite well. In doing so, they became human beings instead of a stereotype.

I don't agree with the politics of this man or with his religious views, but I greatly admire him nonetheless. He doesn't quit, he doesn't whine and he doesn't complain about what a bum rap life has given him and it HAS given him a bum rap. He's a good man and a decent human being who has seen far more than his fair share of hard knocks. He also has the virtue of not looking down on other people.

All you apparently can see are stereotypes and not the underlying humanity of your fellow human beings when they don't share your elitist Weltanschauung.

Personally, I'll take the poor, ignorant schlubs who are out there taking a beating every day over your world of self-congratulatory "superiority".

Any time.

Every time.

Even when I don't agree with them.

schick

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us