The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/the-fact-is-there-isnt-necessarily-any-25013985.aspx

Subject:  Re: Here's your chance: Balance the Fed budget Date:  1/8/2007  5:15 PM
Author:  Dwdonhoff Number:  200601 of 605987

The fact is there isn't necessarily any relationship between the effort to persuade and the worthiness of the result of that persuasion unless the tactics used in persuasion are limited to fact and logic.

I have never once used any such "the ends justifies the means" position, yet it seems that you cannot avoid dancing with it.

Further, it appears that you're not very aware of exactly what skills of persuasion actually are. You keep referring or inferring to lies, deceipt, and the like... which is only exactly that; lies and deceipt.

Ethical persuasion can be incredibly powerful, and beneficial to both sides of a transaction as well as the economy as a whole.

A cornerstone book was written in (IIRC) the mid 80's by Robert Cialdini, the title of which is "Influence." In this book Cialdini observed and analyzed some of the most powerful social influence techniques in existence. In all cases, complete truth along with nothing but exact facts could be employed ("ethically" as you might put it) with dramatically increased and predictable results... all because of our naturally evolved human nature.

I strongly recommend it... I do believe you will enjoy it.

Cheers,
Dave

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us