The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: tutoring and taxes Date:  2/15/2007  11:11 AM
Author:  ptheland Number:  92183 of 132797

Unless you by some fluke qualify for the "household employee" criterion (extremely unlikely) the parent doesn't need to do anything.

Correct so far.

If s/he wants to s/he can ask you for a W-9 to get your SSN, then use the W9 to fill out a 1099 and file it with the IRS, but that's not required.

I disagree with this. 1099s are only to be filed by businesses for business expenses. They are not to be filed by individuals for their personal expenses. And tutoring your child is a personal expense.

In this age of awareness about identity theft, I would not give my SSN to anyone who did not have a legitimate reason for using it. And this is not a legitimate reason.

Taxes are the independent contractor's (your) responsibility.

Again, I agree.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us