The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: long term capitl gains Date:  9/10/2008  7:09 AM
Author:  billjam Number:  101895 of 128043

You can start with the IRS website,
I know it's briefly mentioned in the instructions for 1040-ES, estimated taxes. Also look for a publication specifically on cap gains. I don't recall the number.

In summary, if you have capital gains which were taxed at 5% in 2007, they will be taxed at 0% in 2008. It's a little more complicated than that because you could have some cap gains with 0% tax and some with 15% tax depending on your total income.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us