The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College


Subject:  Coverdell ESA transfer Date:  12/1/2008  12:06 PM
Author:  AlisonWonderland Number:  7530 of 8553

Youngest, who is probably not considering grad school, has a Coverdell ESA (which, of course, has lost value since it was opened -- yeah, i know coulda shoulda woulda and hindsight is 20/20, etc. <sigh>). Oldest may start a grad program next year. My understanding is that Coverdells can be transferred to a family member. What's involved in that? What paperwork? And regarding the paperwork, is it the current value or the original contributions? Tax consequences (and I'll post on the Tax board next.

Any information or links would be much appreciated!

TIA ~~ Alison
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us