The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Work study income question Date:  2/3/2010  5:10 PM
Author:  jamiegumm Number:  108890 of 130961

Hi all you financiers:

Curious question on behalf of gf: She is a community college student
having had Work Study income in 2009, which, for her own EIC benefit, we're hoping to declare it, especially since she has little other income.

As of writing on Feb. 3, she has not received a W-2, but has received a 1098-T. As best as we can tell, the Box 5 line, Scholarships and Grants, does include the work study portion. Is it even possible to declare that as earned income insofar as EIC and Pay to work credit too.

Or if there's any other credits to which she may be entitled?

The PELL and TAP (NYS grant, fyi) covered her qualifed tuition expenses, unless there is some refundable qualified expenses she may claim of which we're unaware?

We were really hoping to show her how to file her own taxes, pretty much for the firt time.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us