The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Helping family Date:  5/23/2012  11:48 AM
Author:  Wradical Number:  116178 of 130843

A person or organization employed by an individual or mutual fund to manage assets or provide investment advice. also called advisor or financial advisor or investment advisor or investment counsel. sometimes spelled adviser.

so I am covered for I get no pay.
I don't know where you found that definition, but if it isn't from a state's official website, it isn't worth the electrons that generated the image on your screen.


As to the requirement to register as an investment advisor (RIA) with the SEC, you appear to be exempt under the Family Office exemption. And yes, you probably are a family office whether you knew if or not. That's good actually. As long as you dont' hold yourself out to the public as an investment professional, and only work on behalf of family members, it appears you're exempt from registration. This exemption was repealed by the Dodd-Frank act, but then restored more recently.

This bulletin article covers it fairly well.

Ira is right, you should check with your state's securities commissioner's office (or whatever they call it.) Though I suspect there's probably a family exemption there, too, or one based on a minimal number of clients.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us