The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Renting a room Date:  2/2/2013  1:43 AM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  117604 of 133282

In 2012 for the first time I rented out the master suite in my home on, to students or travelers, by the month. Airbnb has sent me a 1099 misc. I bought this condo unfurnished in 2012 so in order to rent out a room I had to buy furniture and accessories, linens, TV, etc.

Can I deduct the things I bought for the room, and if so on what form?

Furniture and accessories are depreciable assets. You will need to complete Form 4562 and Schedule E. There are other expenses which you can deduct directly from your rental income.

Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us