The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/post-office-30554505.aspx

Subject:  post office Date:  2/21/2013  12:35 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  418319 of 521074

Received in email. I agree with this. Even though email has replaced the "letter", I think the post office is important. I use email. Yes, it's very convenient. And I save the almost-4 bits to send a letter. And it's faster. No denying it.

But I just received an RO filter from costco.com. Can't email that. Arizona Highways or National Geographic magazines just wouldn't be the same on my phone (I ain't takin' my desktop into the bathroom!). If I want to contact more "formally", I use actual paper and a stamp (e.g. writing to my representative about a personal problem (e.g. INS) as opposed to providing general input on some issue of national import). 1poorkid is receiving college brochures. She also gets stickers for some activity she does, and free samples of things. Can't email most of that. Before my re-fi my lender (at that time) did not accept electronic payments, so I had to mail a mortgage check every month.

It's just dozens of little things that we probably don't notice. Yes, electronic transmission has made a lot of it superfluous. But not all of it, and likely it never will be all of it. I think it is in the best interest of the country for the government to keep the post office going, even if it does lose money (some of which can be fixed by not requiring that it fund its pension plan almost a century ahead of time).

Subject: The Post Office isn't broke -- it's being robbed.

Dear Friend,

The United States Postal Service has just announced that due to budget shortfalls, mail will no longer be delivered on Saturdays starting in August.

It's true the post office faces financial challenges. But the financial problems are in large part a direct result of an onerous and ill-considered 2006 law called the "Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act" (PAEA) that mandates pre-funding the postal service retiree health care and pension benefits for 75 years — something that no other government agency or private company is forced to do.

The vast majority — 85% — of the budget red ink comes from this pre-funding mandate. The PAEA was created by Republicans intent on goal: Killing a government service for the sake of proving that government can't work.

Tell Congress: Don't let Republicans kill the Post Office.

http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/usps_sat_delivery/?r_by=...

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us