The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Will Your SS be taxed? Date:  11/3/2013  5:00 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  119450 of 130717

"Combined Income"?? First I've heard the use of that term.
Me, too, as used with that meaning.
Code Section 86 uses the infamous term "modified adjusted gross income" (MAGI) which, for purposes of that section, includes more modifications than elsewhere, such as the new Medicare tax on net investment income, as we've discussed here at some length.

Section 86 also uses the terms "base amount" and "adjusted base amount" in reference to the thresholds at which taxability of benefits kicks in ($25,000, $32,000, $44,000, etc.)

But "combined income" appears to be a term made up for purposes of this article by the author. I've seen it used for in terms of joint vs. separate return filing, or in "innocent spouse" topics.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us