The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/imho-need-a-flat-tax-or-sales-tax-with-no-31180153.aspx

Subject:  Re: Another 2015 budget proposal impacting retir Date:  3/24/2014  3:45 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  74615 of 101513

IMHO, need a flat tax or sales tax with no deductions what so ever.

I would so love this, as long as it did not include non-discretionary spending like medical expenses. Even at our advanced stage of planning I would be in favor of this approach, given what this simplified approach would mean for our kids, even if we've already paid the taxes to convert our TIRAs to Roths.

What business is it of the government if I save for retirement,...

This would only not be their business if there were not a safety net for those who do not save. Recently article after article talks of the retirement savings "crisis," so I would think that the gov't would be encouraging as much savings as possible. Then again, as much as they talk up "family values," there is not much follow through on that end either. But what matters is what you keep, rather than what you make. If you tax spending instead of savings, you will encourage saving.

IP
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us