The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/aj-thanks-for-the-thorough-reply-in-terms-of-the-31298088.aspx

Subject:  Re: Need advice on paying off debt... Date:  6/22/2014  2:10 PM
Author:  lioil100 Number:  308286 of 312824

AJ,
Thanks for the thorough reply. In terms of the debt i did pay some off but I had a little more from student loan transfer(basically i had higher rate student loan - did balance transfer from CC then paid off the higher interest student loan so it "appears" debt is the same as before). In terms of savings I have a few thousand besides my normal roth and 401k. As for the housing I was actually thinking of buying a house/condo and renting out part of it to reduce cost. I know it is not a long term strategy as i have a family of my own but i think it might work in the short term? The housing here is kind of expensive ... i pay 1200 for rent inc utilities and for a cheaper "total package" place i probably need to be 20-30min more away from work and with morning traffic it translates into ~1 more hour commute a day for maybe 100 or so savings a month. But to really save money on rent i would need to get a roommate either renting or buying.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us