The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/there-are-however-massive-variables-depending-on-31314152.aspx

Subject:  Re: 'American Dream' possible for only Top 12% o Date:  7/5/2014  8:26 PM
Author:  MetalDecathlete Number:  75325 of 107805

There are however massive variables depending on where one lives, with cities like Indianapolis and Tulsa being far more affordable than New York or San Francisco when you take taxes and housing costs into account.

I'd say quite massive if you ask me. Sure, there are expensive enclaves in every major city, but no way you have to be in the top 12% to achieve what we typically call the American dream in 99.9% of the places to live in the U.S.

Most people can achieve it. In fact, anyone can with the right attitude. It's about discipline, sacrifice and making decisions that benefit your self-interest. It just takes time.

No, you can't always have everything you want. You forego some things so you can have the things you really treasure.

I think our culture has a problem of wanting everything immediately. Young people don't realize it took a generation for their parents to achieve what they have. They go out and buy expensive latte's, $500 purses, eat out all the time, drive BMW's and Lexus' and then wonder why they can't save for a house or put money in the 401k.

Metal
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us