The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/congratulations-aj-so-what-led-you-to-32851474.aspx

Subject:  Re: Congrats aj! :-) Date:  10/2/2017  6:50 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  311999 of 313075

Congratulations, AJ!! So what led you to retiring?

It's been my goal to retire in 2017 (the year I turn 55) for about 10 years now, because I'd be able to access my 401(k) without penalties and without having to take SEPP. Despite several changes to my 401(k) plan during those 10 years, those provisions remained in place for my plan. Then, my investments reached a level where I considered myself "FI" a couple of years ago, so I made it pretty clear to my manager and his manager that 2017 was the year I would retire. We put together a plan to train my replacement, which I did during 2016.

I had considered retiring in February, after bonuses were paid for the year. But the person who I had trained to replace me had to go out on a medical LOA for a few months, and I stayed until after she returned. Then I figured as long as I had stayed that long, I may as well stay long enough to max out my 401(k) for the year, which happened with my end of September paycheck.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us