The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/hi-timmy-welcome-to-tmf-as-you-have-already-34020376.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit debt. Looking for a new life Date:  9/28/2018  4:47 PM
Author:  ThyPeace Number:  312280 of 313053

Hi Timmy --

Welcome to TMF. As you have already seen, people generally will challenge your thoughts on almost everything. That's good because it will make you rethink and really focus on whether you are making the best decisions. It can also be bad if it paralyzes you. I have been through this wringer and benefited tremendously from it. I certainly did not take all the advice that was available and did several things differently than what was recommended. Nonetheless, allow yourself to absorb some of the advice. It's generally good.

One thing that I didn't see asked was what your skill sets and expertise are. If you're making $15 an hour in the 9-5 gig and a few dollars a month on the side hustle, that's great! And to improve on those numbers, you need to build on the skill sets you have in both arenas. In the regular job, the best way to get a better job is to be really good at your current job. Is your boss's boss happy with the work you do? If not, why not? That can lead to skill improvements of a wide variety of types.

And in the side hustle, if you love it, great! Spend time on it. Here too, though, the question is how you build your skills to make the business that much stronger. It can look like a lot of different things, but the more you do, the better.

And finally, many people have reinforced the need to pay off the debt your mom incurred on your behalf before anything else. I will strongly support this idea. Owing money to family members is always hard. Paying it back -- with appropriate interest -- can rebuild trust and confidence in all kinds of ways.

ThyPeace, and one more thing -- I hope that one or the others of your jobs gets you a solid dose of physical activity each day. That's important. And yes, at 26, most of the people here are old enough to be your parents or grandparents. We've seen everything, and many of us have been both employees and had businesses of our own. The ecommerce thing is not all that new-fangled. And if you've read the 4 Hour Work Week, I hope you have also gone on to read Tim Ferris's later books. He eventually realized that he was most successful and happiest when he was really using his skills to their fullest for the benefit of others. I suspect you will eventually discover that, too.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us