The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i39m-on-my-3rd-cross-country-move-md-az-md-az-34216515.aspx

Subject:  Re: Quotes from Yahoo Date:  5/26/2019  8:42 AM
Author:  richinaz Number:  274186 of 275112

I'm on my 3rd cross country move (MD-AZ-MD-AZ) in the last 16 years. No one else in my family has really moved anywhere, especially on my mother's side of the family.

I have to say it gets harder as you get older. I don't mean the physical part of it (fortunately I've had packers/movers do most things for me) but the emotional part. While I've never cared for the weather, traffic, cost of living in MD, it is still home to me and I have my father, my brother's family that includes my 15 yr old nephew (never had kids of my own) in MD. I just really enjoyed my time in Scottsdale and feel more comfortable, relaxed there.

My girlfriend can't move east since she spends a lot of time helping her 90 yr old mother and MD is just too far away. Fortunately I'm returning to a house that I've never sold (been renting since 2011) and to a company and manager I've worked for before although I'm giving up a safe government job back east. I'm planning to retire in 3.5 years.

And now I can understand why some people just don't want to move to better weather, lower taxes, because they don't want to leave family.

The thought of actually building a house sounds exciting but too many hassles for me. I'd rather go the fixer upper route.

Rich
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us