The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home


Subject:  Re: Mortgage Date:  8/6/2019  1:47 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  129235 of 129351

Check into an Asset Depletion mortgage. It is what we did a few years ago after being retired and having no earned income (Capital gains is not a salary).

Sorry, that won't work in this case.

You missed a critical piece of information in your reply, that this mortgage would be for a rental property.

Asset Depletion Mortgages are only allowed for your principal residence. I know this because I am in the process of buying my first rental property after retiring, and I was on the edge of showing I had enough income. My loan officer looked into using Asset Depletion for the needed income, but said it's only available for mortgages on your principal residence. Luckily, my issue was resolved by adjusting out the large one-time expense for taking out a tree that had grown too close to one of my rental properties, so I didn't have to set up a regular withdrawal from an IRA account, as mentioned in my previous post.

Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us