The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt


Subject:  Re: Another conversation Date:  9/9/2019  3:29 PM
Author:  cabinsmama Number:  312641 of 312970

Before helping with medical bills or cost, see how the TANF application goes. If she's not eligible for some reason they should still look at eligibility for Medicaid. Definitely help with encouraging her to gather paperwork, respond to letters, etc. during the process (which can be daunting). If she plans (or will need) to file for disability, she'll need quite a bit of documentation, or at least starting points for an agency to request records, so encouragement and/or follow-up on gathering medical info in one place would be a good thing.

In the immediate situation, establishment-specific gift cards (grocery store card, gas card) may be better than money or a Visa/MC gift card and shouldn't be counted as income or assets.

Good luck,


Note: google her state's TANF regs on "are gift cards income?" The USDA says no, if establishment-specific, for SNAP, but doesn't cover what a state's TANF program does
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us